03 Jan Five unthinkable acts moms pull off in September
By Christine King
Published August 26, 2016, BocaNewspaper.com
Oh sweet September. Your heart pangs watching your little one walk into school. For a minute. Thoughts then turn to the plots schemed as summer’s end was in sight.
You may have secretly written down delicious, indulgent, unthinkable ideas for the day that is now before you. Prior to plunging into those luscious plans let’s devise a strategy. Running after the children all summer left little time to focus on you. Now you can maximize available time for a healthy routine.
1. CALM DOWN. Breathe and learn the best way to practice daily meditation. Five, 10 or even 15 minutes sets your day with a clear and composed mind. If you’re like me and struggle with quieting your mind, there are free phone apps that guide you through a short, painless process. Examples include: “My Morning Meditation”, “Headspace Guided Meditation” and “Seven Minute Morning Routine”
2. EXERCISE. It’s time to try something new. There are many fun, invigorating ways to burn the pounds. Combo classes like Zumba/dance, yoga/Pilates, stretch & tone and more that provide variety and challenge muscles you’ve never used. If a group isn’t your thing hire a qualified Professional Fitness Trainer to customize a program to your needs. There are also many simple home workouts. One of my favorites is choosing (any) five exercises, do 10 reps of each and repeat until you’re out of time. For example, squats, pushups, lunges, dips and bridges. Even if you only have 10 minutes you’ll be amazed at the feelings of increased energy, blood flow and beautiful glow in your skin.
3. EAT. Healthy and frequently. Sort the yummy recipes found over the summer and create a weekly plan. A crockpot saves the lives of many busy women. It provides leftovers for a second family meal and lunches for you. Dedicate a couple of hours every week for food preparation. Healthy eaters live by this rule and always have nutritious foods to grab and go while on the run.
4. WALK. Dig out the FitBit or pedometer and track your steps. Explore South Florida’s natural beauty. For some, walking serves as a method of meditation. It can also conjure an unexpected idea creation session. Some simply enjoy the escape of listening to their favorite music while burning the fat.
5. JOURNAL. After tucking in the munchkins take a minute or two to write your accomplishments from the day, your focus for tomorrow and the how you feel. This treasure is one you won’t appreciate right away, however as you feel stronger and more energized, you’ll review those entries and feel so proud that while your little ones were in school, you cared for yourself in order to enjoy many years of health, wellness and happiness.
Christine King is a Medical Exercise Specialist, Fitness Expert, and Founder/CEO of Your Best Fit Inc. She and her team have helped thousands of people recover from injuries, look and feel better and improve their overall wellbeing. She can be reached at Christine@LifeOnlyBetter.com. www.LifeOnlyBetter.com