06 Feb Mistaken Meatloaf
It was getting a little chilly in South Florida last week. I wanted to make warm comfort food. As some of you may know I don’t follow recipes well. So here’s what happened…
- 1 ¼ lb. ground beef, sirloin or turkey. (I used ground sirloin)
- Bragg’s amino acids
- Sea Salt and Pepper
- 1 organic egg
- Roughly one cup of gluten free breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon of Kerry Gold Salt free grass fed butter.
- 3 tablespoons of finely chopped onion.
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- A splash of milk, almond milk or nothing at all
- Coconut oil spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place meat or turkey in a bowl and cover with Bragg’s amino acids (about ½ cup) and salt and pepper to marinate while preparing the remainder of ingredients.
- Place butter in non-stick pan and carefully heat on medium. Add onion and saute until just about transluscent then add 3- cloves of minced garlic. Set aside to cool.
- Spray loaf pan with coconut oil.
- Add salt & pepper, egg, breadcrumbs, sautéed onion and garlic mixture (and milk if so desired) to meat. Mix all ingredients well with your hands.
- Place in the loaf pan. Sprinkle with pepper.
- Cook for 45 minutes to one hour.
The reason this recipe is called “Mistaken Meatloaf” is the surprising outcome when you take this lovely treasure out of the oven. The Braggs Amino Acids somehow causes the meatloaf to caramelize and the end result is this highly flavorful, gluten and dairy free (if you choose), amazingly tasty treat you can eat all week. I also cook a couple of sweet potatoes while the “Mistaken Meatloaf” is in the oven so I have a complimentary healthy starch. I always have organic vegetables in the freezer I can cook in a snap for a completely balanced, DELICIOUS meal!!
Enjoy a plate of old fashioned heaven with a new and healthy twist!!