23 Jun Not-So-Devilish Eggs
With the 4th of July celebration just around the corner, here’s a great lower fat version of an all time favorite crowd pleaser! Quick pickled onions, creamy Greek yogurt, and fewer yolks make these stuffed eggs more heavenly.
150 calories per serving
12 grams total fat
372 milligrams sodium
76 calories per serving
4.8 grams total fat
157 milligrams sodium
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha or Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- Add water to a large saucepan to a depth of 1 inch; set a large vegetable steamer in pan (steaming produces perfectly cooked, easy-to-peel eggs every time). Add eggs to steamer. Bring water to a boil over medium-high heat. Steam eggs, covered, 16 minutes. Remove from heat. Place eggs in a large ice waterfilled bowl for 3 minutes.
- While eggs steam, combine 1/4 cup water, vinegar, and sugar in a medium microwave-safe bowl; microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until boiling. Stir in onion. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes. Drain.
- Combine yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard, Sriracha/Tabasco, pepper, and salt in a medium bowl, stirring well to combine.
- Peel eggs; discard shells. Slice eggs in half lengthwise. Add 6 yolks to yogurt mixture; reserve remaining yolks for another use. Mash with a fork until very smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons red onion. Spoon mixture into egg white halves (about 1 tablespoon in each half). Garnish egg halves with remaining red onion and chives.