02 Apr Springtime Arugula & Strawberry Salad
A rich source of iron and vitamins A and C, arugula is nonetheless in desperate need of balancing—here, with aged balsamic vinegar, walnuts and strawberries, another one of springtime’s jewels! Makes 4 servings & ready in 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups baby arugula, or torn arugula leaves
- 2 cups sliced strawberries, (about 10 ounces)
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shaved and crumbled into small pieces (1/2 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar, (see Ingredient note below)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Toast walnuts in small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until lightly browned and aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a salad bowl; let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add arugula, strawberries, Parmesan, pepper & salt. Sprinkle vinegar & oil over the salad; toss gently & serve at once.
Tips & Notes: Aged balsamic vinegar (12 years or older) is a treat, but not an economical one. If you don;t want to spring for a $40 bottle, use regular balsamic. Alternatively, bring 1/2 cup regular balsamic vinegar to a boil over high heat in a small skillet. Cook until the vinegar begins to thicken & become syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes
Nutrition per serving: 204 calories, 16 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 251 mg sodium; 262 mg potassium ~ Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2 ~ Exchange: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat